Leaving, Quitting, And The Fine Line In Between

Photo taken by the Author

Seven years ago, I left my second job. I worked in the front lines for 2 years and 7 months. At the age of 23, it felt like I was leaving the nest - excited and scared at the same time. There was that bittersweet feeling of having come full circle and turning a page. On my last working day, I hid in my cubicle until most of the people have left to avoid the long goodbyes. But when it came to the point when I had to bid farewell to my boss, the waterworks turned on.

Fast forward to August 2019. I've already said goodbye to two of my managers. This time, I am the one who got left behind while they've moved on. I've been working for a decade now and I'm already 30 but I still couldn't get past the moving on and letting go phase without crying.

I've asked my boss before he left, "When is a good time to go without seeming like I'm running away from something? I'm not quitting now, but I want to know when is it acceptable to leave?"

The answer was complex and seemed to be too good to be true.

For now, at least.

When you've prepared your team to be able to work without your supervision. When you've been able to develop another person to lead. When you've exerted all your effort and tried your damn best to equip them with the knowledge and skills to take on new challenges.

Perhaps this is what a full circle is like when you are already a leader. Well, to be honest, it seems like there's still a lot of work to be done.

Keeping my fingers and toes crossed that one day, I'd get to come full circle again.


RM

Comments

You may also like