The Thing With Hello and Goodbye

Artwork by Kate Ylagan

I'm that person who goes through the #sepanx phase. By this time, I've already learned that life is a series of hellos and goodbyes. Thing is, I am also the type of person who don't let people in my circle easily. So when people leave, it's going to take me quite some time to go through the motions before I can say that I've moved on.

Perhaps the anxiety comes from the fear of losing those people who mattered. For a fact, I'm not good at keeping relationships. My fear of rejection hinders me from keeping myself in touch with my friends who I don't work with or see that often anymore. I have my constants - the ones who I see once or twice a year and chat with via SNS every now and then - and the meet ups with them don't feel awkward, as if we just saw each other the day before. But I can count my constants with just one hand. Unfortunately, the others who came and left, they're the people I had fallouts with.

Who knew that in this day and age, when all it takes is a click to get connected, we can still lose touch with people who mattered to us at one point in our lives.


RM

To see more of Kate Ylagan's works, visit her Facebook page Obra ni Keyt.

Comments

You may also like